Monday, March 31, 2014

A Study of Snow!

"God thunders wondrously with His voice; He does great things that we cannot comprehend. For to the snow He says, 'Fall on the earth,' likewise to the downpour, His mighty downpour."
Job 37:5-6

This year, with all the beautiful snow, gives a great opportunity to "study" it. To look closely at it for colors, shapes, shadows, light. I have never actually painted a snow scene and I know that I would have painted it wrong.


So lets look at some of these pictures! This first picture I took was to see how footprints looked in the snow. All of the little depressions, the light, the shadow...and what colors do you see?
I see blue, white, grey and some purple...and different shades of each of those colors as well.


Where we live, there are many very large boulders. They are wonderful for climbing on and give some interest to the landscape. As you can see they are interspersed throughout the woods. So how do we distinguish between the rocks and the snow covering them as opposed to the snow around them? I think some of it will be done through shadow and light. The rock in the foreground has the potential for getting lost with the snow behind it, but the snow on top of it seems to have kept the shape of the rock pretty well and having the tree just behind it, serves to make a very nice break behind it. It has the potential for bringing more depth into the picture.

If you have seen my pictures on Etsy, I think you know that I really enjoy the base of the tree. :) So I have to include one in the snow! It is interesting how there seems to be a "well" around the base. I'm not sure why that is. If you know, I'd love to hear about it! So this picture allows for the smoothness of the snow, the bending of the shadows and light and the various colors that seem to pop out...some nice contrast as well as some nice blending.


I love all the shadows across the snow! I think the hard part will be to make those stones "come alive". There will have to be depth so they don't look "flat".


This picture is a little more interesting in that you have the trees at different distances. We still see those same stones on the left but because of the trees, I think it may be easier to convey. What do you think?


A lovely landscape! There is also some good depth and I like the little twigs that are poking out. They contrast with the trees.


Another lovely landscape, but this time we have the added challenge of the foot prints. I think that would be a little more difficult to capture.


My final picture, a sort of "overview" of what we have looked at in more detail. Have you ever painted a snow scene? Do you have some suggestions or comments for me? I'd love to get some feedback!

Blessings,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, question or suggestion...